Because your roof is an incredibly important aspect of your home, it is important to invest in the best type of roofing material—especially if you live in Central Florida. Between the harsh sun, severe weather, and other elements, having a dependable roof in the Sunshine State is a necessity.
While there are many residential roofing materials to select, the most commonly used roofing materials are asphalt shingle and clay or concrete tile. Here are some considering factors about each material that can help you decide which option is better for you and your roof.
How to Choose Between Asphalt Roofs or Tile Roofs for Your Residential Roofing
When it comes down to it, both asphalt roofs and tile roofs are great choices for your Florida residential roofing needs. However, you may want to consider your specific situation and think about different factors between the two roofing materials before investing in one or the other.
- Aesthetic – While maybe the most superficial factor to consider, aesthetics do matter. Tile can create a very classy, distinct roof with a terra cotta look. The colors and textures are very different from shingles. Although, asphalt shingles are available in many different color options, so it’s just a matter of taste.
- Maintenance – Asphalt shingles are susceptible to chipping or cracking after a particularly bad storm. They will also require more cleaning because of moss or algae. Tile is typically much more resistant—although it is more expensive to repair if damaged.
- Structure – You will need to consider your home’s structure during the selection process. If you have an older home, it may not support the increased weight that a tile roof brings, whereas asphalt roofing is evergreen.
- Lifetime – Tile roofing has a very long lifespan, and is usually accompanied by a longer warranty. Tile roof rating can be up to 50 years, while asphalt shingle usually only lasts 20 years.
- Budget – Last but certainly not least, you must consider the cost of your residential roofing. Tile roofing can be anywhere from 2 to 3 times more expensive than a traditional asphalt shingle roof. Shingle roofing is among the least expensive roofing materials.
If you’re in the market for a residential roof replacement, look no further than Davis Roofing & Restoration. Whether it’s tile or asphalt, we have access to a variety of high-quality residential roofing materials for you to choose from.
Residential Roofing Done Right With Davis Roofing & Restoration
Davis Roofing & Restoration is a local, family-owned and operated construction business in Central Florida. Licensed and registered, we have been serving Lake County, The Villages, and Orange County, FL with exceptional customer service and high-quality roofing repairs, replacements, and restorations for over 30 years.
If you are in need of durable, dependable, and affordable roofing services, contact Davis Roofing & Restoration to schedule a complimentary inspection and receive a free estimate from one of our residential roofing experts. Call us today at 407-436-4587.