When shopping for new roofing for your Florida home or business property, you will find that you have quite a few options to consider when it comes to roof material. Two of the most popular types of roofing materials are tile and asphalt shingle. However, with each roofing material option, there are many additional factors to weigh in terms of benefits, cost, and upkeep. To get the most roof for your money, it’s important to consider every factor before making a decision.
Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of tile roofing and shingle roofing to help you choose which material is best for you.
The Pros and Cons of Tile vs. Shingle Roofing
Tile and shingle roofing are both great choices for Florida’s climate and aesthetic; however, each type comes with various pros and cons for you to consider.
Tile Roofing Pros
- Tile roofing is durable. It can withstand the most severe weather and storms that Florida has to offer.
- Tile roofing is long-lasting. You could expect to your tile roof to enjoy a lifespan between 40 and 50 years. With such longevity, tile roofing may include longer warranty options as well.
- Tile roofing provides a beautiful aesthetic. A dynamic terra cotta-style tile roof stands out and looks very attractive compared to traditional shingles.
Tile Roofing Cons
- Costly. Tile roofing can beup to two to three times more expensive than a shingle roof installation.
- High maintenance. While durable, tile roofs can break under certain conditions, making it more costly to replace and repair.
- Heavy material. Tile roofing is much heavier than shingle roofing and could possibly compromise your home’s structure, depending on its size and style.
Shingle Roofing Pros
- A common and classic choice. Shingle roofing is a more traditionaloption and the installation process is easier and faster than tile roofing.
- Easy to maintain. Shingle roofing material is much easier to replace and repair.
- Cheaper and easily accessible. Shingle roofing material is much more economical and readily available with more variation than tile roofing.
Shingle Roofing Cons
- Shorter lifespan. Shingle roofing material doesn’t last as long as tile. While asphalt shingles are easily repaired and replaced, those repairs and replacements could be more frequent over the lifetime of the roof.
- Least durable roofing material. Shingle are not as strong as tile, so you could be looking at a higher overall long-term cost because of shingles’ potential for frequent repair and replacement.
Your roof is a huge part of your home’s defense system from the elements as it takes the brunt of severe weather and sun damage. Because of this, you’ll want to reinforce you roof with the best materials to protect it long term. Whether you choose tile or shingle roofing, the expert roofers at Davis Roofing & Restoration have you covered.
Tile and Shingle Roofing Done Right at Davis Roofing
Having served Lake County, Fl, The Villages, FL, and Orange County, FL with exceptional roofing services for over 30 years, Davis Roofing & Restoration is a local, family-owned and operated construction business in Central Florida. Licensed and registered, our team of skilled roofers can provide you with high-quality roofing repairs, replacements, and restorations of any material you desire, from asphalt shingle to tile.
If you are in need of durable, dependable, and affordable roofing services, contact Davis Roofing & Restoration to schedule a complimentary roof inspection and receive a free estimate from one of our residential roofing experts. Call us today at 407-436-4587.