The lifespan of your roof can vary depending on factors like UV exposure, moisture, weather, and, of course, the material it’s made of. Around 75% of North American homes are topped with a shingle roof, which boasts a lifespan of around 20 years. But your roof’s age doesn’t have to feel like a ticking time bomb. With the right care, it’s easy to extend the longevity of your roof.
Stay in the know and protect one of the most important parts of your home with these roof maintenance tips.
Expert Roof Maintenance Tips to Protect Your Home
- Shield your roof from harmful rays – As you head down towards the equator, the average UV index starts climbing upward. In Southern states, that means a bit more wear and tear on roofs. Applying a roof coating is a great way to give your home a little extra layer of protection, helping to shield your roof from damaging UV rays and cracking or warping from heat exposure.
- Keep your gutters squeaky clean – From fallen leaves and sticks to moss and fungi, all sorts of debris can build up in your gutters. These blockages can cause a rainwater overflow, which can result in water damage to your roof. For the best preventative care, give your gutters a good cleaning two to four times per year. If your gutters are too high to reach, consider contacting a professional.
- Trim trees and plants around your roof – Keeping trees and vegetation away from your home is another vital roof maintenance tip. Branches blowing in the wind can scratch your roof, allowing water to seep in and cause structural damage. Trees also pose a risk for snapping in a storm, potentially puncturing, cracking or denting your roof.
- Look for leaks in your downspouts – Keeping your downspouts clean is an important part of roof maintenance, but many people don’t think to check their downspouts’ joints and connections for leaks. If left unfixed, a leaky downspout can cause moisture damage to your roof. As soon as you notice a leak, contact an expert to have the hole repaired and sealed.
- Reach out to the roof maintenance professionals – Licensed and registered roofing experts who know all of the above roof maintenance tips will inspect your roof to determine areas of damage or vulnerability that need to be addressed. An experienced roofer can also determine if your roof maintenance qualifies for a covered weather-related event and can help you navigate the roof repair claims process with your homeowner’s insurance provider.
Your Trusted Local Roof Maintenance Experts
Davis Roofing & Restoration has been serving Lake, The Villages, and Orange counties with exceptional customer service and high-quality roofing repairs, replacements, and restorations for over 30 years. If you are in need of durable, dependable, and affordable roof maintenance services, contact Davis Roofing & Restoration to schedule a complimentary inspection and receive a free roof estimate from one of our residential roofing experts. Call us today at 407-436-4587.