Shingle roofs are pretty versatile. Their design and installation can allow for piecemeal repair, which is handy if you live in an area with frequent harsh weather. However, your home can’t survive on a patchwork roof forever. There will come a day when a full roof replacement is necessary.
With greater savings and less labor involved, individual shingle replacement and repair is ideal, but it’s important to recognize when it’s time for a full roof replacement. To decide what the best route is for you to take with your roof, here are a few considerations you can make regarding replacing your whole roof or just the shingles.
Single Shingle Replacement or Whole Roof Replacement?
Taking a closer look and comparing the two roof repair options will help you in your decision.
- Cracked or lightly damaged individual shingles can be replaced, or even spot-treated with a good sealant.
- Sometimes shingles blow away if a storm is particularly bad. They can easily be replaced if the missing shingles are minimal.
- Similarly, single shingles can break into pieces, and the entire shingle will then need to be replaced as a result.
- If your roof is only missing a few shingles here and there due to excessive wind or wear and tear, then a full roof replacement is probably not necessary; however, it is still important to have your roof inspected for any underlying leaks or water damage.
- If your roof is quite old, as in 20 or more years old, then a full replacement is highly recommended. Two decades is right around the average roof life cycle, so patchwork just won’t do the trick after that.
- If your shingles are curling, that is a sign of shingle life nearing its end. If you have only had patchwork done, then it’s likely all of your oldest shingles will be curling. Curling can lead to massive leaks, so a full roof replacement would likely be necessary.
- If the granule coating on your shingles is showing signs of deterioration, then it is in need of a full roof replacement. The granules are responsible for UV protection and deflection, which is very important in protecting the overall health and longevity of your roof.
Your roof is arguably the most important aspect in keeping your house protected from outside elements, so review these signs carefully to see what your best option is.
Your Choice for High-Quality Shingle and Roof Replacement
The expert team of professional roofers at Davis Roofing and Restoration are experienced and to properly inspect your roof to determine the extent of your damage and recommend the appropriate shingle repairs or full roof replacement services. We are equipped to install high-quality new roofs with durable materials and are committed to helping you make the best decision possible to help protect your most important home investment.
Call Davis Roofing today at 407-436-4587 to schedule your free roof inspections and receive a free estimate from one of our residential roofing experts.